When you pop the cork on that bottle of red wine, we want you to enjoy this glass of wine, not only because it tastes spectacular after the long week you have had but because compounds in red wine can prevent cavities and plaque build-up. My Health News Daily explains that “the compounds that are found in red wine, called polyphenols, can block a molecule made by the bacteria, streptococcus mutans. These bacteria are found in all of our mouths and break down the sugar we eat and make sticky molecules called glucans, which let bacteria to cling to our teeth and damage their surfaces.”
This bacteria also produces an acid that erodes the tooth enamel and can eventually lead to cavities. “The fermented grape stems, seeds, and skins that are left over from wine production contain high amounts of polyphenols. The polyphenols can block the ability of S. mutans to make glucans, letting the good bacteria in the mouth thrive while disabling the bad bacteria from sticking to the teeth,” Hyun Koo said, a microbiologist at University of Rochester Medical Center in New York.
The research that produced this research was found when researchers fed rats the cranberry compounds called A-type proanthocyanidin. The researchers found that “the bacteria’s production of acid and glucans were reduced by 70 percent, and cavities were reduced by 45 percent.” While drinking red wine and ingesting these compounds can be good for you, it’s not helpful to drink glass after glass of red wine. The sugar isn’t great for your teeth and the red wine can stain your teeth, which isn’t what you want. So remember that when you open that bottle of red wine, a little bit can go a long way for your oral health. If you need to schedule an appointment with Dr. Maryam Brazdo your Melbourne, Florida dentist give us a call today!