Preventing receding gums
Over the past couple of weeks, Dr. Brazdo has shared the common causes of gum recession, the treatments for gum recession, and now the most important conversation of all: prevention.
As with all oral heath issues, the best care is preventive care. If we can keep your teeth clean, your soft tissues healthy, and your underlying bone structure sound, there’s no reason that your teeth can’t last your lifetime and help you enjoy good health for many years to come. And gum recession is just one issue that can be tackled foremost by strong prevention measures.
The keys to preventing receding gums are the same tenets of oral health care you’re familiar with:
- Brush twice daily with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Floss between teeth daily.
- Visit your dentist for twice-yearly professional cleanings. Visit more often if it’s recommended.
- Consider braces or invisalign to correct misalignment contributing to gum recession.
- Quit smoking.
- Invest in proper nutrition. This pays dividends in every aspect of your health.
Dr. Brazdo will monitor your smile for changes with every examination, but we’re always happy to discuss your concerns as they arise between cleanings.