The History of Dental Products
At Artistic Touch Dentistry we know that the dental industry is ever evolving. There are several dental history facts that we thought you might be interested in learning about.
History of the toothbrush:
- The first known toothbrush was a fresh twig, used by the Hindus of India in 4000 B.C.
- The first toothbrush as we know it today, was invented by American H.N. Wadsworth in 1857. The bristles were originally made from swine.
History of toothpaste:
- Toothpaste has been used since 500 B.C. in Asia.
- In 1824 a dentist Dr. Peabody added soap to the toothpaste and later other compounds were added like chalk and different flavors.
- Eventually fluoride was introduced as an ingredient after World War II.
History of dental floss:
- There is evidence of substances similar to dental floss in pre-humans and American Indians.
- A New Orleans dentist, Levi Spear Parmly introduced dental floss made of a thin thread of silk in 1815.
- After World War II, Dr. Charles Bass discovered the advantages of nylon over silk.
We would like to remind you that though these practices are indeed ancient, flossing and brushing your teeth remain vital to the maintenance of your dental health. Make an appointment today to get started improving the health of your smile.