Do You Need a Dental Bridge Implant?
Dental bridges are designed to “bridge” the gap where one or more teeth are missing. A bridge consists of two or more dental crowns that are placed on each side of the gap to provide support for the false tooth or teeth in between.
The anchoring or supporting teeth are called “abutment” teeth while the false teeth are referred to as “pontics.” The pontics can be constructed of several types of materials, such as gold, alloys, porcelain, or a mixture of these materials.
If you have one or more missing teeth, you may be considering getting a dental bridge. However, dental bridges are not suitable for everyone.
Learn more about dental bridges and whether you may be a good candidate for dental bridges.
Who Needs a Dental Bridge?
An estimated 178 million Americans are missing one or more teeth, according to the American College of Prosthodontists, and about 40 million Americans are missing all of their teeth. There are many reasons why patients require tooth extractions, such as severe dental decay, badly eroded teeth, particularly large dental fillings, or cracked, broken, or fractured teeth.
You may be a good candidate for a dental bridge if you have two strong and healthy teeth on each side of the area where there is a missing tooth or teeth. These supporting teeth must possess strong roots for stability. While it’s important to have strong support teeth, patients who do not have healthy teeth near the area that requires a bridge may still be deemed eligible for the procedure.
If there are no healthy teeth near the gap, your Melbourne FL dentist may recommend dental implants. Implants act as artificial anchors that are surgically placed in the gums where they serve as a substitute for the tooth root. It’s important to note that receiving dental implants can be a long process that takes several weeks or even months. Implants also require the patient to have healthy jaw bones and gums.
What are the Benefits of a Bridge?
Missing teeth can make it difficult to speak, eat, and feel confident when you smile. Dental bridges are an affordable and effective solution for patients with missing teeth.
Here are some of the benefits you can expect when you get a dental bridge for restoring your smile:
- Restored Smile – Patients often feel more confident, healthy, and beautiful when they smile when they undergo a dental bridge procedure. There is no need to hide your smile in photos or feel self-conscious about your missing teeth.
- Improved Chewing – Missing teeth can make it difficult to properly chew your favorite foods. Some patients may experience discomfort due to shifting from the surrounding teeth into the empty space. A dental bridge can help alleviate some of this discomfort by filling the gap with artificial teeth.
- Improved Speaking – In addition to improved chewing, many patients also experience improvements in the way they speak. With a full set of teeth, you’ll be able to more easily form words.
- Maintain Facial Shape – When you have teeth missing, the jawbone can start to deteriorate. This can lead to facial collapse and further tooth loss. Dental bridges aim to help maintain your face’s natural shape.
- Prevent Shifting – Without artificial teeth in the gap, your surrounding teeth will ultimately try to shift or tilt into the space. Filling the space with a bridge is the ideal solution to this common problem.
Request More Information About Dental Bridges
Interested in learning more about dental bridges or ready to schedule an appointment with our Melbourne Florida dentist? At Artistic Touch Dentistry, we offer a wide range of services and procedures. We also offer other essential services like tooth extractions, dentures, porcelain veneers, and teeth whitening.